Thursday, April 29, 2010

Is the start up just small potatoes?


My number crunching shows that I spent roughly $150 on the start up for the garden. That's $100 on materials (grow light, seed trays, potting soil, etc), $42 on vegetable seeds, and $11 on flower seeds. Because I didn't keep track from the start, and I might have forgotten something, I'm going to round up to $200 for the sake of this project. That way I can't be accused of minimizing the costs to make an economic case for the urban vegetable garden which admittedly, I might be likely to do if I don't police myself. The costs would have been much higher if it wasn't for the plants and materials I've been gifted: Heritage tomato seeds, strawberry plants, raspberry canes, oregano, borage, cilantro seeds, alpaca poo, and mason bees. Thanks to all!

So the challenge begins. Can this garden produce over $200 worth of food?

And what about the small potatoes? I've planted Red Chieftain and Yukon Gold potatoes in those coffee sacks pictured above, and they're up, those cute little green leaves.

1 comment:

Yessss. Megan said...

Yay Courtney! I'm excited to watch it grow!