Tuesday, July 19, 2011

That's why they're called strawberries!

I don't know why I haven't made any blog posts this year until now. I suppose I've been busy with wedding planning... but the garden does grow on! I do have some things to brag about, such as lots of strawberries and snap peas - much more than last year already and they're still producing.

A lot of the strawberries are getting bug eaten, however, which is so disappointing after giving them lots of care and even mulching them, which I didn't do last year. Turns out that while in theory mulching = good, it is not as simple as I thought. Mulching with composting leaves from the fall may introduce bugs, which is fine for many plants and good for the soil, but not ideal for the ground-dwelling strawberries. STRAW-berries. Mulch with straw, that has no bugs. Brilliant! I'll have to try that next year.

So to get up to speed on the garden, we have a new, sunnier, 4x16 raised bed that is full of the sun-loving plants that we had in pots last year, and more. Six varieties of heritage tomatoes, pole beans, parsley, basil, cucumber, hot peppers, bush beans, cabbage, watermelon (a just-another-weed-patch experiment), and butternut squash. Oh, and sunflowers and marigolds.


I am particularly excited about the cabbage, which is looking like a cabbage patch kid may crawl out of at any time.
What are you growing? Any luck with straw under the strawberries? Or other tips to keep the bugs away?

No comments: